Monday, February 14, 2011

Life, Love, and Chocolate Milk

These last few weeks have been a little on the stressful side, to say the least. So my wonderful hubby and I planned a little trip to the coast; to get away, relax, enjoy some time before the baby, and celebrate our anniversary (which happens to be very close to baby time)/Valentines Day. However, it was not to be. Friday night my sweet little girl got the stomach flu. We're talking four loads of laundry, three outfit changes for me, one for Joe, and lots of Febreze. This is the third week in a row I've had a sick girl. Trust me, summer and the end of cold and flu season can't come fast enough.

When I look back on this winter, I can honestly say it has been a doozy. And not just the, ho-hum winter blues, I'm so tired of the rain and ick, when is spring coming kind of winter. But an emergency surgery, sick with a sinus infection for three weeks, family crisis, stress at work, feeling tired and sore because I am really pregnant kind of winter. I'm not exactly sure what God is trying to teach me. Maybe He's not trying to teach me anything. Maybe that's just the way life is sometimes.

I just finished a good book recommended to me by a friend and the last chapter is about loving life, and about choosing to look at what is good instead of wasting my time wishing for something else. How much of life passes us by while we fixate on all the things that aren't going right? How many little details of God's brilliance do we miss? Well I decided to sit down and make a list of the simple little things I've noticed today that say "It is good."
  • Little breaks of sunshine between all the rain
  • Living on Summer Street instead of Winter because summer is such a happier time full of so many good memories.
  • Grace's laugh - her straight from the belly laugh where you can't help but laugh along.
  • My baby boy getting the hiccups and making my belly look like an alien is inside me.
  • Good friends and a small group who lifts each other up in prayer
  • A wonderful husband who does two loads of dishes in one night
  • Cute shoes when I don't feel the slightest bit cute
  • Ducks, crackers, and Elmo
  • A good book
  • Chocolate milk, which for some strange reason I can't get enough of right now.
  • Using my baby as an excuse to eat more chocolate 
  • Not having to go grocery shopping for another few weeks because I just went
Oh and Happy Valentines Day :)

No comments: